Veteran Advantage Program
Our Veteran Advantage Program assists eligible veterans or surviving spouses to apply for the VA Aid & Attendance Benefit. If entitled, Aid & Attendance will cover the cost for personal home care services. The VA Aid & Attendance Benefit is a reimbursement pension for medical expenses where as home care is considered a medical expense.
To be eligible for the Aid & Attendance Benefit, you must meet the 3M’s: Military, Medical, and Money.
- Military: Must be a veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran who served at least 90 days on active duty, at least one day during wartime, with an honorable discharge (Persian Gulf War veterans must have two years of active duty.)
- Medical: Must have a non-service connected medical condition causing a need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) such as: bathing, dressing, grooming, feeding oneself, using the toilet and personal mobility. A physician must verify the medical condition.
- Money: Must have limited income and assets not including a home and vehicle
The Department of Veterans Affairs defines war periods as:
- World War II: December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950-January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: August 5, 1964-May 7, 1975. Veterans who served February 28, 1961-August 5, 1964, must have served “in country” (Vietnam).
- Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990- date to be prescribed by Presidential Proclamation or law. Must have served active duty for two years.
How Upstate Home Care helps you qualify?
We will conduct an initial assessment to determine if you are eligible for the VA benefit (the 3 M’s). After determining your eligibility, Upstate Home Care and our partners will:
- Assist you in identifying, gathering, and submitting all the necessary documentation for the Aid & Attendance application.
- Start providing home care as soon as the application is submitted to the VA; which means you do not wait to receive care… you receive care immediately!
- Provide compliance management to ensure you keep this benefit for your entire life.