Every single one of us experiences stress. Some of us carry around the stress on a daily basis. We think we are ‘coping’ all right, but what we fail to realize more often than not is how stress affects our health and other aspects of our life. As a family caregiver, you may not realize it or have accepted it just yet, but stress from this type of work is affecting you.
It might very well be impacting your work, career, personal relationships, and your health. You might be looking after an aging parent, spouse, or even a disabled adult child. You may feel trapped, as though this is your responsibility and there’s absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it.
You may have reached the point when you’re so frustrated and fed up you are ready to scream. In fact, maybe you recently screamed when you got back behind the wheel of your car and turned it on, assuming nobody was around to even hear you or care.
Is there any hope?
As a family caregiver, you may feel completely helpless, like this is your responsibility to take care of your elderly mother or father. You might turn to your spouse, your own siblings, and others for help, but no help arrives.
Day after day you keep up this routine, knowing that if you don’t, this aging parent is going to be completely helpless and what would happen then?
There is hope, though. You need to understand that you have your limits. Your limits involve physical, emotional, and mental. If you keep pushing yourself beyond your limitations, if you keep going on this way, it is going to catch up with you.
You will likely start getting frustrated with the people you love the most. Your temper will shorten. Your blood pressure will likely rise. You’ll probably start struggling to sleep at night and that’s only going to compound the issues.
Consider home care services support.
Most people who become family caregivers never really consider home care services as an option. They think this is their job, their responsibility, and they don’t want a total stranger looking after their aging mother or father, for example.
In truth, once you get to that point when you are frustrated and ready to scream, it’s well past time to realize the value of a home care services aide helping. Through an agency, you can enjoy flexibility of schedules, meaning you can still be a caregiver, but not everything will be on your shoulders anymore.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Home Care Services in Powdersville SC, please contact the caring staff at Upstate Home Care Solutions today. Call (864) 527-0455.
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business of the Year 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business Accelerator (MBA) Program participant 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce MBA Excellence Award Recipient 2017
• Featured on the cover Upstate Business Journal June 2016
• Community Works Economic Impact Award 2016
• Board Member of Ten at the Top (TATT) and Fire Pit Ranch (FPR)
• Member of Upstate Senior Network, Greenville & Spartanburg Chapters
• Member of the Healthcare division of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
• Member of the Better Business Bureau
• Staff member of Palmetto Boys State sponsored by the American Legion
• Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.