Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is a good way for older adults to make certain they get enough nutrients in their diet. They’re also delicious and low in calories. Many people associate fresh produce with the summer months. After all, that’s when people typically grow their gardens. However, there are plenty of fruits and vegetables that are in season during the fall, and they are just as delicious and nutritious as their summer counterparts.
Wondering what’s in season during the fall? Here are some great kinds of produce to add to your aging relative’s meals.
Fennel is often used as a spice in things like sausage. It can also be added to soups and salads, though. It can even be baked and eaten as a side dish. Fennel tastes a bit like anise, so it can add a lot of flavor to a meal.
Pumpkin is one of the first kinds of produce that people think of when they think fall. It appears in practically everything during “pumpkin spice” season. You’ll find it in many different baked goods, like pies, breads, and pastries. It’s also used to flavor a multitude of foods, including coffee, cream cheese, and even milk. Pumpkin can be cut up and added to soups or a roasted vegetable medley. To get the best pumpkin, choose the ones that are between 5 and 8 pounds. They should have a tough skin.
Beet harvest begins in the fall. They are typically available all through the winter, too. Beets have a great earthy flavor that is also a little sweet. They are easy to prepare because they can be boiled, roasted, or added to side dishes or salads.
Apples are another versatile produce. That may be because there are over 2,500 kinds of apples. They can, of course, be used in desserts. However, they are also delicious in savory dishes, such as pork chops with braised apples.
Sweet potatoes are a starchy root vegetable that often get confused with yams. As the name suggests, they have a sweet flavor. They are delicious baked, mashed, or roasted.
A home care services provider can help your older family member to pick up produce that is in season this fall. A home care services provider can drive them to the grocery store and help them to shop. If there are fall farmers markets in their community, a home care services provider can take them to the market and walk around with them. In addition, home care services providers can cook healthy meals that use fall produce.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Home Care Services in Duncan SC, please contact the caring staff at Upstate Home Care Solutions today. Call (864) 527-0455.
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business of the Year 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business Accelerator (MBA) Program participant 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce MBA Excellence Award Recipient 2017
• Featured on the cover Upstate Business Journal June 2016
• Community Works Economic Impact Award 2016
• Board Member of Ten at the Top (TATT) and Fire Pit Ranch (FPR)
• Member of Upstate Senior Network, Greenville & Spartanburg Chapters
• Member of the Healthcare division of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
• Member of the Better Business Bureau
• Staff member of Palmetto Boys State sponsored by the American Legion
• Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
Latest posts by James Bennett (see all)
- Why Is a Strong Front a Bad Idea? - January 23, 2020
- Can Your Parents’ Home Design Really Keep Them Safe? - January 8, 2020
- Is Nutrition the Missing Ingredient for Stronger Bones? - December 19, 2019