Respite is one of those things that caregivers talk about, but might not actually get around to taking. Part of that is because there’s some guilt involved. But another big part is that there’s always something that needs to be done. It’s difficult for caregivers to believe that there’s really time and space for them to take time for themselves, even with all that needs to be handled.
You Can’t Keep Running Indefinitely
As much as you might think that you can just keep going and going, no matter what, you’re human. And because you’re human, you need time away now and again. You need to be able to do whatever you want to do. When you’re taking advantage of respite time, you’re able to do those things regularly and that is far more important than you might realize right now.
You Get a Chance to Rest
The ability to just rest can’t be overstated. Sure, when you have respite coverage you can do a lot of different things. But one of the most important things you can do is to allow yourself to actually rest. Without respite, you might be able to get small pockets of almost rest. True rest means that someone else is taking over for you and you’re able to devote your focus just to you.
You Have a Chance to Regain Your Footing
Caregiving keeps you off balance. There’s always something that needs to be done or handled or fixed. Taking respite time allows you to take some time to remember who you are when you’re not a caregiver. You can regain the balance of engaging in other activities and solving other problems. That alone can be incredibly helpful.
You Might Start to Believe You Can Do This
There are moments as a caregiver when you’re going to wonder what you’re doing and why you’re the one who doesn’t seem to have it all together. What you need most often in those situations is perspective and rest. Respite can give you both of those things. With the right amount of respite time you might start to realize that you really can do this.
Respite is something that you absolutely need as a caregiver. Lots of people will tell you that it’s optional, but having time for yourself is not optional at all. Having home care providers in your corner is going to seriously pay off for you.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Home Care Services in Boiling Springs SC, please contact the caring staff at Upstate Home Care Solutions today. Call (864) 527-0455.
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business of the Year 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business Accelerator (MBA) Program participant 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce MBA Excellence Award Recipient 2017
• Featured on the cover Upstate Business Journal June 2016
• Community Works Economic Impact Award 2016
• Board Member of Ten at the Top (TATT) and Fire Pit Ranch (FPR)
• Member of Upstate Senior Network, Greenville & Spartanburg Chapters
• Member of the Healthcare division of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
• Member of the Better Business Bureau
• Staff member of Palmetto Boys State sponsored by the American Legion
• Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
Latest posts by James Bennett (see all)
- Why Is a Strong Front a Bad Idea? - January 23, 2020
- Can Your Parents’ Home Design Really Keep Them Safe? - January 8, 2020
- Is Nutrition the Missing Ingredient for Stronger Bones? - December 19, 2019