If your elderly loved one is still living in their own home, it is important that they stay as safe as possible. While you, elderly care providers, and your elderly loved one should be aware of an emergency plan to get your elderly loved one out of their home when needed, everyone should also know about the toxins that could be in the house, as well.

Elderly Care Simpsonville SC - What Toxins Could Be In Your Elderly Loved One’s Home?

Elderly Care Simpsonville SC – What Toxins Could Be In Your Elderly Loved One’s Home?

Asbestos

It has been many years since asbestos has been used in homes. However, if your elderly loved one lives in a home that was built before the 1980’s, they still might have asbestos in their home. This was used in the roofing, flooring, and insulation of many homes. If your elderly loved one experiences chest pain or chronic coughing, they need to be checked out by a doctor. They could have fluid buildup in their lungs due to asbestos.

Mold

Black mold is the most harmful type of mold. However, there are many other types of mold that could be in your elderly loved one’s home, as well. Mold generally grows in damp areas such as basements. If your elderly loved one experiences allergic reactions or respiratory issues such as coughing or wheezing, they could have been exposed to mold. If your elderly loved one was exposed to a lot of mold or exposed to mold for long periods of time, they could also experience shortness of breath and fever.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide can be fatal if your elderly loved one is exposed to too much of it or exposed to it for a period of time. This isn’t called the silent killer for no reason. It is important that your elderly loved one has carbon monoxide detectors in their home. If your elderly loved one experiences an upset stomach, dizziness, headache, flu-like symptoms, or weakness in their body, they could have been exposed to carbon monoxide. It is important for everyone to get out of their home and to get them tested right away.

Tips for Staying Safe from Toxins

It is important that everyone stays safe from toxins. If you and your elderly loved one know all about the toxins that could be found in their home and do things to prevent toxins from coming into the home, everyone can stay much safer. If you think that your elderly loved one’s home has toxins, it is best to have someone come out and test for them. In the meantime, be sure to have your elderly loved one stay somewhere else until their home is deemed safe.

As you can see, there are multiple toxins that could be in your elderly loved one’s home. Be sure that you know how to recognize the symptoms of toxin exposure. You should also do everything you can to get your elderly loved one immediate medical attention if you suspect they have been exposed to any type of toxin.

Sources:  https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/publications/books/housing/cha05.htm

If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Elderly Care Services in Simpsonville SC, please contact the caring staff at Upstate Home Care Solutions today. Call (864) 527-0455.