When you’re out of balance as a caregiver you’re likely going to experience more stress, more frustration, and even greater health issues. It might be time for you to sit down and determine what aspects of caregiving are most out of balance for you and what you can do to get back into balance.
Look at Where You Are Now
Your first step is to look at what’s going on right now in your life. What’s working for you and what’s not working? You might have been just as busy before you started being a caregiver, but you might have been doing a greater variety of activities. Now, you’re busy, but you’re focusing on only one aspect of your life. So it’s a good idea to get a solid picture of what your experience is now. Then you can start looking at it from other angles.
What Changes Do You Want to See?
Once you know where you are, where do you want to be? That might be an easy answer or it might be one that you need to take some time and explore. Journaling can help you with this if you’re feeling stuck. You might find that you’re not sure at all what you want to happen, you just want things to be different. Be patient with yourself.
Examine Your Why
It’s important to understand why you wanted to be a caregiver for your senior and what you hope to achieve. When you forget why you’re doing this, it’s much more difficult to get to the balance that you want to get to with caregiving. Sometimes examining your why can help you to figure out where you want to make changes, too.
Schedule Your Day and Your Week Differently
Once you have an idea where you want to see changes and what you want to do in order to be better balanced, it’s time to put that into action. Schedule your day and your week to meet those goals. If that means that you need to bring in some extra help to manage caregiving duties, then it’s time to take that step. Only action is going to start netting you the results that you want to see.
If you’re not seeking balance as a caregiver, it’s going to be much easier for you to burn out. And if that happens, you’re going to have a whole other sent of problems.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Caregiver Services in Spartanburg SC, please contact the caring staff at Upstate Home Care Solutions today. Call (864) 527-0455.
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business of the Year 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business Accelerator (MBA) Program participant 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce MBA Excellence Award Recipient 2017
• Featured on the cover Upstate Business Journal June 2016
• Community Works Economic Impact Award 2016
• Board Member of Ten at the Top (TATT) and Fire Pit Ranch (FPR)
• Member of Upstate Senior Network, Greenville & Spartanburg Chapters
• Member of the Healthcare division of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
• Member of the Better Business Bureau
• Staff member of Palmetto Boys State sponsored by the American Legion
• Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
Latest posts by James Bennett (see all)
- Why Is a Strong Front a Bad Idea? - January 23, 2020
- Can Your Parents’ Home Design Really Keep Them Safe? - January 8, 2020
- Is Nutrition the Missing Ingredient for Stronger Bones? - December 19, 2019