The holidays are meant to be a joyful and exciting time, but they can also be stressful and even overwhelming.
While you are running around trying to check off everything from your to-do list and make sure you’ve completed everything you need for your celebrations, you may find yourself overlooking the most meaningful parts of the season, such as spending quality time with your loved ones.
As a family caregiver, this can be particularly evident as you swoop into complete care tasks for them, but don’t take the time to just relax and connect. It is important to set aside time to enjoy meaningful, stress-free quality time with your aging loved one. Not only to keep your relationship strong and ward off potential issues such as holiday depression for your senior, but it also promotes more meaning in your care roll.
Let these meaningful, stress-free ways to enjoy quality time with your senior inspire you to slow down and savor the holidays together:
-Put on music and fill out Christmas cards together. If you are crafty, consider making these cards together. This is a wonderful way to encourage your parent to express themselves and put a personal touch on the holiday season.
-Watch favorite old holiday movies together. Even if they are “kids movies”, you can still reminisce about watching them when you were younger or even introduce them to your children and other young members of the family.
-Drink cocoa and talk. It may not seem exciting, but one of the best things you can do together during the holidays is really nothing at all. Make big mugs of hot cocoa, curl up on the couch, and just talk. Focus away from their care needs and your usual care routine and just enjoy laughing, sharing, and reminiscing together.
-Deliver goodies to neighbors. Bringing a bright moment to anyone’s day is always a great way to spend quality time with a loved one. Spend some time putting together goodie baskets with cookies, candies, cakes, treats, or anything else that your parent enjoys making, and deliver them to neighbors together.
Respite home care can be an incredible resource during your experience as a family caregiver.
Sometimes it’s not possible for you to follow your regular schedule of care with your loved one. Things come up, you or a child may become sick, you may need to handle a task for work or with your child’s school, or you simply may feel overwhelmed and in need of a break. When these things happen, your parents still need care, and that’s where a respite in-home senior care services provider can step in.
With this type of care, they are available on a temporary basis to care for your parent in a way that follows their routine as much as possible until you are able to return. This not only ensures your parent can continue receiving the support and assistance they need, but it also takes worrying about your parent off your mind so you can put your full attention on what is happening at that moment.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring a Caregiver in Greer, SC, please contact the caring staff at Upstate Home Care Solutions today. Call (864) 527-0455
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business of the Year 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce Minority Business Accelerator (MBA) Program participant 2017
• Greenville Chamber of Commerce MBA Excellence Award Recipient 2017
• Featured on the cover Upstate Business Journal June 2016
• Community Works Economic Impact Award 2016
• Board Member of Ten at the Top (TATT) and Fire Pit Ranch (FPR)
• Member of Upstate Senior Network, Greenville & Spartanburg Chapters
• Member of the Healthcare division of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
• Member of the Better Business Bureau
• Staff member of Palmetto Boys State sponsored by the American Legion
• Member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
Latest posts by James Bennett (see all)
- What Can Your Senior Do if She’s Worried about Her Memory? - March 21, 2019
- Fixing Caregiver Loneliness - March 7, 2019
- Types of Thyroid Disease in Seniors - February 20, 2019